Saturday, April 24, 2010

What is the meaning of exponents following the name of an ion?

For instance, for an ion named Fe^3 , what is the significance of the three? Does this mean that it is lacking three electrons? Are the exponents relevant when I'm balancing the cation with the anion, or only subscript numbers?





For that matter, how do I tell if a binary ionic compound is type one or type two? That is, how do I know which metals can form more than one type of positive ion? Do I have to just memorize this information?





I'm fairly dumb in this subject, just trying to get through preliminary summer homework for a class, so bear with me.

What is the meaning of exponents following the name of an ion?
the exponent stands for the net charge....Fe3+ means it is postive 3 or that it has three less electrons than protons...Cl-1 has one more electron than protons
Reply:Use your reference table if you have one. In NY we get one.


No comments:

Post a Comment