Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Meaning of the names Douala and Didinga?

Does anyone know the meaning of the names Douala and Didinga? I'm trying to think of a name for my 2 month old Rhodesian ridgeback puppy and I came across these two, but I can't make up my mind. Maybe it would help me decide if I knew what they meant. Anyway, Douala is a city in Cameroon and Didinga are some mountains in Sudan, but I couldn't find the meaning of them. So if anyone knows please do share! :) Thanks! :)

Meaning of the names Douala and Didinga?
For the name Douala:





Of the works realised by Doual’art, the one with the strongest presence in the city is “Nouvelle Liberté” by Joseph Sumégné, a monumental sculpture erected in 1996 at the Deïdo roundabout. It triggered intense controversy at first, but has since proceeded to become a landmark of the city of Douala. For the international workshop Ars%26amp;Urbis, I selected the task to investigate what this statue means for the people of the city today. Public space is heavily regulated in Europe, leaving few possibilities for individual interventions. In a country such asCameroon, such regulation hardly seems to exist, and public space is always a more or less occupied space. Symbolic occupation of public space plays a major role in cities, too, and in Douala, which is a seaport and an economic metropolis, but not the political capital of Cameroon, it is striking that, for all intents and purposes, the state does not manifest itself. The extreme lack of infrastructure is the result of the complete absence of any responsibility at all on the part of the state, of which nobody seems to expect a thing.





For the other name i cant find anything im sorry.

shaolin

No comments:

Post a Comment